Photos

Friday, January 14, 2011

1, 2, 3, 4 @#*!^@$!! in Deutsch

Unterleiterbach with Aunt Hedwig & Uncle Heinrich, Carmen & Eddie-Saturday night before returning home-

After a night of bier and board games I am happy to report my Deutsch has greatly improved. I now know my colors, my numbers and several choice words J Following is a full report:

The game of ‘Sorry’ tutored me in my colors. Anyone remember Sorry? In Germany they call it Menschen something something – something to the effect of People Angry Don’t Get. I don’t know. Anyway, rolling a six releases your colored piece from holding and then the objective is to get all four of your pieces home before someone knocks them out by landing on your spot, which happens about twenty times a game. The rules penalize you if you don’t knock someone out when you could have. Anyway, red is rot, Yellow is gelb, green is gron, black is Schwartz. Add to the list weiss (white) as in weissbier, lilla (purple) as in my friend Lilla and blau (blue). I won one game, lost countless.

Yatzee taught me my numbers even though I lost miserably each time to Aunt Hedwig. In addition to being able to count to six now J I also know big straight/little straight (grosse stresses, kleine strasse), one pair/two pair (eine paar, zwei paar), three of a kind/four of a kind and full house. Once adding points, instead of saying twenty three, they place the tens spots last as in three twenty. I think I could maybe count to one hundred now.  Try me!

The German little kids’ version of War consists of a deck of cards with differently colored clown faces (Mayce- stay away from this game!) and it included bell to smack each time the clown colors/faces match. Never knew it could be such a fun game at the end of game & beer night! Gott in Himmel!

Other fun words/phrases I learned: 
-Gott in Himmel! God in Heaven! Uttered repeatedly by Carmen throughout the night and guaranteed to make everyone laugh when I saw it. Not quite sure why. 
-Minch Meier gets quite the laugh every time Pat says. No idea what it means. 
-Scheisse! Uttered by Aunt Hedwig during all games! Yes, you guessed it- means shit.

PS- Sorry for this post mom ;)

1 comment:

  1. I hope you like comments on your blog.

    The first words you learn in any new language, are bad words - guess what I learned 1st in English.

    cu

    ReplyDelete